At the Heart of a Great University
With 18 departments and spanning the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the largest of NIU's six undergraduate colleges. By the nature of our mission, we touch virtually every new student to the university, regardless of their major, through the wide array of general education courses housed within our departments. We provide the solid liberal arts foundation that students can build upon. Your future career success begins here!
Antarctic mystery solved? Scientists say ocean fossils found in mountains are cause for concern over future sea levels.
- Making a better solar cell. An international team of scientists that includes NIU researchers has mapped out a pioneering route to improve the performance of hybrid perovskite solar cells.
- The Pick Museum of Anthropology will be presented received two awards from the Illinois Association of Museums on September 29. The Museum earned a Superior Award – the highest award, only awarded to one institution annually – for its current exhibit “Storytelling: Hmong American Voices.” The Pick also received and Excellent Award for their 50th Anniversary Collection catalog.
- CLAS houses three Accelerated Law Degree programs in Political Science, Sociology, and French, German, or Spanish. The foreign language program made its debut this Fall.
- Eight units within the college have new leadership. Meet our new chairs!
- NIU Geography & Meteorology Professor David Changnon recently appeared on WGN TV to discuss how corn crops are contributing to our recent hot weather.