The Advisory Council was established in 2002 to provide counsel to the dean, undertake projects to advance the college, advocate for the liberal arts and sciences and foster connections with alumni and friends. Members of the advisory council are united in their passion for NIU and to the 19 departments and eight research and teaching centers that form the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Membership is by invitation only, for three-year terms. The council meets biannually, with committee work occurring year round. A majority of committee work is conducted electronically or through conference calls.
The role of the Dean's Advisory Council is to assist the College in achieving its mission of preparing students to become successful citizens in today's diverse global marketplace. The Council strives to engage alumni in order to enhance the College's reputation as an exceptional learning and research community.
More than 28 successful alumni of the College with diverse backgrounds, a breadth of experience, and knowledge of the landscape of higher education serve on the Council. Collectively through their time and talents, they work to provide students professional development opportunities; recognize the success of alumni, faculty and staff and lend a helping hand to students who need a little extra financial assistance to graduate on time.
- Keith Liden, chair, '79
- Joanne Krakora, co-vice chair, '93
- Ralph Strozza, co-vice chair, '81
- James Borishade, '02
- Bob Cherry, '73
- Gavin Engel, '97
- Barry Franklin, '81
- Steve Goldman, '78
- Richard Hart, '83
- John Higginson, '90
- Patrick Korellis, '08
- Mark Lamb. '73
- Jake Lawrence, '14 and '16
- Marty Lombardo. '16
- James Norris, '83
- Linda Oddo, '75
- Romel Regalado, '79
- Brian Reis, '05
- Valerie Salmons, '74 and '77
- Bob Sobel, '98 and '04
- Dale Spencer, '91
- Dan Templin, '91 and '94
If you are interested in serving on the Dean's Advisory Council email us at email@example.com.
Chair: Keith Liden
University Liaison: Julie Ann O’Connell, CLAS Student Professional Development Program
- Collaborating with department chairs/units that coordinate internships, career fairs and research opportunities, identify areas, programs or processes where the business community and our alumni may increase their involvement.
- Bringing in NIU alumni, or from significant employers of NIU grads, to speak to CLAS student audiences.
Marketing and Events
Chairs: Ralph Strozza and Kathy Schmitt
University Liaison: Paula Meyer, CLAS Communications
- Assists in telling the NIU/CLAS story through print and digital platforms.
- It also communicates the role the council plays in the college through the Council's web presence and the onboarding of new members.
- Focus on student recruitment – working with departments to assist with on-campus recruiting events.
- The events subcommittee assists in the coordination of any events that are outside of the scope of the standing committees.
Our primary responsibility is to the CLAS distinguished awards but we are also willing to assist with social events that will bring together Advisory Council members.
Put Your Experience to Work
- Provide internship opportunities or list open positions at your workplace on Huskies Get Hired
- Participate in the Careers with CLAS Seminar Series, a collaborative project between the Advisory Council and the CLAS Student Professional Development Program
- Class presentations and discussions
- Serve as a mentor
Recognize the excellence of alumni, faculty and staff at the annual CLAS distinguished awards.
Pay it Forward
The CLAS Advisory Council Fund, established in 2015, provides one-time funding to juniors and seniors encountering last-minute financial obstacles so they can graduate on time. Council members are asked to make annual contributions to this fund, commensurate with their capability.
Zulauf Hall 312
Add/Drop Class, Enroll, Transfer, Withdraw, etc.
Zulauf Hall 201